The Mike Kelley Foundation in Los Angeles named ten recipients of its Artist Project Grants for 2018. The organization working to preserve the late artist’s legacy tapped projects to be presented by local institutions: the Craft & Folk Art Museum, Fulcrum Arts, Hammer Museum, JOAN, LA Freewaves, LAXART, the Museum of Contemporary Art, Los Angeles, Museum of Latin American Art, Self Help Graphics & Art, and the Underground Museum.
In a statement, Mary Clare Stevens, the foundation’s executive director, said, “The grantees this year reflect Los Angeles’s energized and diverse art scene, and underscore the foundation’s commitment to support risk-taking, underseen, and hard-to-fund work.”
The total of $400,000 in funding will support projects in different disciplines, including printmaking, performance, multimedia works, and sculpture, culminating in solo, group, and collaborative exhibits. The full list of institutions and projects funded is below.
- Craft & Folk Art Museum: “Indira Allegra: No Space Without Tension” ($25,000)
- Fulcrum Arts: “Lawrence English: Sirens” ($40,000)
- Hammer Museum: “Hammer Projects: Andrea Fraser” ($40,000)
- JOAN: “JOAN Performance” ($45,000)
- LA Freewaves: “Ain’t I A Womxn?” ($40,000)
- LAXART: “Sperm Cult” ($45,000)
- The Museum of Contemporary Art, Los Angeles: “Cameron Rowland” ($40,000)
- Museum of Latin American Art: “Gráfica América” ($40,000)
- Self Help Graphics & Art: “Chicana/o and Latinx Print Summit Portfolio & Atelier” ($40,000)
- The Underground Museum: “Rodney McMillian: Videos and Performance” ($45,000)
more recommended stories
Jim Dine on Creating ‘Autobiography Through Objects,’ in 1977 -ARTnews
Jim Dine, The Garden of Eden,.
Chris Christie Portrait Edition -ARTnews
Image via Wikimedia Commons Drama Jeff.
Sam Francis Catalogue Raisonné Goes Online -ARTnews
The 2011 Sam Francis catalogue raisonné..
Chris Ofili’s ‘Holy Virgin Mary’ Goes to MoMA, a Gift From Steve Cohen -ARTnews
Chris Ofili, The Holy Virgin Mary,.
California College of the Arts Appoints Two New Deans -ARTnews
Allison Smith, left, Tina Takemoto, right..
Teresa Margolles at PAC Pavilion of Contemporary Art, Milan -ARTnews
Pictures at an Exhibition Teresa.
Stolen Jade Artifacts Edition -ARTnews
A large hunk of jade. (Not.
Morning Links: Outrage Activism Edition -ARTnews
Huang Yong Ping, Theater of the.
‘Slavery, the Prison Industrial Complex’ at Frist Center, Nashville, TennesseeARTnews
Chandra McCormick, Waiting for the Bull,.
Art Institute of Chicago Receives Gifts Totaling $70 M. -ARTnews
The Art Institute of Chicago. TRIPP/WIKIMEDIA.