In this case, the man ingested a tapeworm with one of his raw beef meals.
By the time doctors discovered it, the tapeworm had grown to 20 feet in length, reported Live Science.
The man went to the doctor after experiencing stomach pain and severe weight loss for three days.
The report showed he had lost over 11 pounds within that timeframe.
However, the man had also gone to the doctor multiple times over the last two years, getting treatment for stomach pain and anemia.
How did doctors figure out the problem this time and not the others?
During this painful episode, the man brought in part of the tapeworm that he had found in his stool.
Once the tapeworm was identified, doctors gave him an oral antibiotic to expel the tapeworm that day. Three months later, the man got relief from his symptoms as well as his affinity for raw beef.
The case report was published in The New England Journal of Medicine in January 2016.
more recommended stories
Is red meat safe to eat or not? Food advice is confusing Americans
The word on the street? Keep.
Australia bars entry to Vietnamese woman for failing to declare raw pork
SYDNEY (Reuters) – Australia has refused.
Veteran gets groundbreaking penis transplant after Afghanistan blast injuries
A veteran who lost the lower.
Embattled drugmaker Indivior raises forecasts on Suboxone strength
(Reuters) – Indivior Plc on Tuesday.
CDC gives vaping-related lung illnesses a name
The Centers for Disease Control and.
Different minds: Temple Grandin on nurturing autistic workers
NEW YORK (Reuters) – During the.
Pennsylvania police warn of Halloween candy laced with THC
Heads up, parents: Ahead of the.
China reports new African swine fever outbreak in Guangxi region
HONG KONG (Reuters) – China detected.
Does breast cancer awareness month trivialize the disease?
This October 1st, people began pinkifying.
Fewer emergency surgeries, more deaths in British hospitals vs U.S.
(Reuters Health) – When patients in.