One Georgia mother is warning others after her son contracted a rare disease from a tick bite.
On May 10, 5-year-old Mason McNair was staying with his grandparents in LaGrange, Georgia, when they noticed a tick inside of Mason’s belly button. The tick was promptly removed, but it “got infected and very red around the entire bite,” his mother, Danielle McNair, wrote on Facebook.
McNair promptly took Mason to the doctor, who prescribed him an antibiotic. But 10 days later, Mason’s symptoms had worsened. The young boy was plagued with fatigue, diarrhea, fever, headaches and pain in his abdomen, according to his mother. On the last day of his medication, Mason also broke out in a rash from “head to toe,” McNair wrote.
At first, McNair thought it was a heat rash. But she soon realized it was not, as the red spots on Mason’s body worsened, becoming bigger and more visible.
Again, the worried mother took her son to the doctor, who told her the rash was possibly a “delayed reaction” to the antibiotic. But McNair wasn’t convinced.
“I was NOT satisfied with that answer and neither was my sister, who told me they needed to do a tick panel on him. I called back after doing my own research on tick-borne diseases and showed them what I had found on Rocky Mountain spotted fever,” she wrote.
After investigating McNair’s suspicion, Mason’s doctors confirmed that young boy did, in fact, contract Rocky Mountain spotted fever. The condition is a bacterial infection that can lead to the amputation of limbs, hearing loss, paralysis and mental disabilities, according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention. In 2014, there were roughly 3,500 cases of the infection in the United States.
Soon after, Mason was treated with the correct antibiotic and is now “completely healthy,” his mother wrote.
“This has been a horribly scary experience for our family. I’m thankful that I did my own research and brought it to my doctors attention. So don’t EVER be afraid to be an advocate for your child or yourself when it comes to things like this!” McNair continued, adding that “doctors are humans and have to figure out the puzzle just like the rest of us do!”
Danielle McNair was not immediately available for additional comment when contacted by Fox News on Saturday.
more recommended stories
Quitting junk food causes withdrawals like drug addiction: study
We all have some guilty-pleasure junk.
Sanofi drug Dupixent wins FDA approval to treat asthma
(Reuters) – France’s Sanofi SA said.
Should you get the flu shot? What to know about the 2018-19 flu season
Health professionals are urging citizens to.
McConnell says Senate Republicans might revisit Obamacare repeal
WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Republicans could try.
Wegmans recalls store brand hummus that ‘may contain pieces of black plastic’
Wegmans is recalling its own hummus.
China’s Dabeinong reports suspected African swine fever case on related farm: media
BEIJING (Reuters) – One of China’s.
Texas girl, 5, hospitalized following sting from venomous caterpillar, mom says
A young Texas girl was reportedly.
Australia gives $37-million boost to spending on youth mental health
MELBOURNE (Reuters) – Australia will spend.
New Jersey city touts safe drinking water despite fears of lead in thousands of homes
Newark has a drinking water problem..
Mental health crisis could cost the world $16 trillion by 2030
LONDON (Reuters) – Mental health disorders.